The United States has announced a 10-million-dollar (N3.8 billion) reward for information on foreign interference in its elections.

The Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, announced the offer in a statement on Wednesday.

The move is targeting foreign government agents seeking to compromise the country’s federal, state or local election elections through cyber attacks.

Read Also:  Update: At least 16 dead including both pilots, and 123 injured as Air India flight from Dubai with 191 people onboard crash-lands at Calicut Airport (photos)

Allegations of foreign interference, especially by Russia, in the 2016 U.S. presidential elections had been a big political issue in the country.

In 2019, then Special Counsel, Mr Robert Mueller, launched a lengthy investigation into alleged Russian meddling in the elections in favour of President Donald Trump.

Trump strongly denied colluding with the Russians, and dismissed the Muller probe as the product of a fake dossier paid for by the Democratic Party.

Read Also:  Fire engulfs popular Ajman market in Dubai, UAE (photos/video)

In his 448-page report, Mueller said it did not establish that the Trump campaign criminally conspired with Russia to influence the election.

However, the report cited 10 instances where Trump allegedly attempted to impede the investigation, a claim the president also denied.

In July, the Democratic Party’s candidate for the Nov. 3 election, Mr Joe Biden, said he received a security briefing on plans by the Russians to interfere again.

Read Also:  Wuhan holds massive pool party with thousands in attendance three months after reporting no new COVID-19 cases (Photos/Video)

Biden vowed a swift retaliation against any nation that attempts to meddle in the American democratic process.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here